In 1938 W.T.S. (Walter Thomson Shaw) Forsyth came from Duns to take over the old established butcher business of James McKenna & Son which had been established since the early 1900’s. At that time there were six family butcher shops and also a very busy Co-Operative Butchers within Peebles.
In 1938 a pony and trap was used for deliveries but with the onset of war and during rationing bikes were used. The first van was purchased in 1954.
Jim and Malcolm, the sons of Walter, continued the business after their father died in 1963. At that time only bacon curing, poultry and game were being produced. Over the coming years a wide range of meat specialities, cooked meats and pies were produced as a means of diversification.
In 1982 they opened the bakers shop next door to the butchers which specialises in handmade bread, rolls and pastries.
Today the business is run by Jim’s sons Walter, Callum and Norman and Malcolm’s son, Michael. The butcher and bakers shops both work together to offer a personal service to their customers both within the shop and home deliveries with loyal and conscientious staff who have worked with us for many years.